Thứ Năm, 28 tháng 8, 2014

THE 800 MOST COMMONLY USED IDIOMS IN AMERICA (in alphabetical order) - Letter A

A

1. above board– legitimate, legal.  
She knows it shouldn’t be kept a  secret.  She wants to keep everything  above board .
2. across the board –  including everyone or everything. 
The company had a successful year.  All salaries were increased by 10% across the board.
3. air one’s dirty laundry in public – discuss personal problems openly.
He is a very private person.  If he has a problem in his family he doesn’t want to  air his dirty laundry in public.
4. all along   – all the time. 
She was accepted into the university, but she knew  all along that she’d get in.
5. all ears – eager to listen.
I was excited to hear about her vacation.  When she told me about it, I was all ears .
6. all thumbs – clumsy, unable to fix things.  
Don’t ask me to put that clock back together.  I’m all thumbs.
7. an arm and a leg –  a large amount of money. 
It cost an arm and a leg to fix the stove.
8. ants in one’s pants  –  nervous, anxious.
He wasn’t sure if he would be chosen to win the award.  He had  ants in his pants.
9. apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, the –  being similar to a parent or family member. 
He acts just like his father.  You know,  the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree .
10. apple of one’s eye   –  someone special, usually a son or daughter. 
Although he loves his son, his daughter is the apple of his eye .
11.  at fault – responsible for making errors. 
He is at fault  for all the errors on the computer.
12.  at odds – in disagreement. 
He is  at odds  with his boss.
13. at one’s beck and call   – always ready to do what is ordered. 
Whenever she calls him, he’s always helping her.  He is at  her beck and call .
14. at one’s wit’s end  – anxious, frantic. 
I need to speak with him to finish the report by tomorrow but he’s not available.  I’m  at my wit’s end!
15. at the end of one’s rope –  desperate, with nowhere to turn. 
I’ve tried every which way to figure out this problem but I can’t.  I’m at the end of my rope !

Nguồn: Paul S. Gruber, MS, CCC-SLP, THE 800 MOST COMMONLY USED IDIOMS IN AMERICA, PronunciationWorkshop.com.

~ A clean hand wants no washing ~
~ Cây ngay không sợ chết đứng ~

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét